Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Coming Spring 2009

As always, we have so many future plans for our farm. It seems as we cross one project off our list, another one takes it's place. Two things that I am researching right now, are barn fly spray systems and arena watering reels. These two additions will arrive by late Spring 2009, in an effort to make it more pleasant around the farm.

I was able to keep the flies at bay for a while this past summer by daily stall & barn cleaning, spreading manure & shavings and releasing fly predators, but by August, they were pretty much everywhere, which is no fun for animals and people! Another issue was the dusty arena. It was doable with one horse in the arena, but more than that and you were eating dust! I tried to keep up watering it as often as possible, but it was pretty hard. The water is holding better in the arena now that the weather is cooler. I'm able to water in the evening for about 1 and a half hours, and it holds thru the next day. The only area it really dries out is around the rail, which of course is where everyone rides. (Except me, I'm miss circle circle!) :) So, I've narrowed it down to 2 water reels, and will be purchasing one come springtime before the weather gets too dry.

No comments: